SearchFAQRegister Log In

Garmin GPSMAP 295

Garmin GPSMAP 295

Postby DrSteve on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:47 pm

I have a Garmin 295 that I have used for a couple of years. This is my personal GPS (Serial # 98806239). This is a complete unit with the GPS itself and all the mounting hardware, clamps, power adapters and full padded carry case.

I am selling this unit because I now have a newer Garmin 496 and have no need for this unit. In the past I have used a Garmin 195, Garmin 295 and now a Garmin 496. Garmin GPS units, in my opinion, always makes wonderful portable GPS units for pilots. I would never consider flying without a Garmin GPS these days!

This was a very expensive unit when I purchased it and it is still in good working order. The only part I cannot confirm that is working are the batteries. This unit never had very good battery life. The unit with batteries might have gotten about an hour with new batteries. Because of this, I never flew with only batteries, and was always plugged into the cigarette lighter adaptor. The battery compartment looks like one of the batteries may have leaked, and right now I cannot get the unit to turn on just with batteries. It might work with better batteries, it might work when the battery poles are cleaned, and it can be repaired by Garmin, but since the unit works for such a short amount of time with batteries, why bother! It works perfectly with the cigarette lighter adaptor. I flew with it just last week.

All the other features work great. As you can see in the pictures the unit is in very good condition with nice bright screen and no scratches on the screen as it was usually protected with a screen protector.

From their website......Mapping details on GARMIN's GPSMAP 295 provide a clear picture of the ground below. Its big, 4-inch (diagonal) 16-color display makes it easy to distinguish SUAs from highways, or VORs from nearby towns. Move the cursor to one of those SUAs and the name, controlling agency, and vertical boundaries pop-up on the map. Meanwhile a "vector to final" feature offers the finest situational awareness on approach. This unit also can provide position accuracy to less than three meters when receiving WAAS corrections.

Like all GARMIN portables, the GPSMAP 295 is pilot configurable. You can split the screen to keep an eye on an HSI graphic while tracking your progress on the moving map. You can also store up to 30 locations in a personal favorites list for quick access to those frequently traveled spots. Installation options are equally handy. Mount the 295 on the yoke for convenient one-thumb operation, or attach it to the glareshield in a heads-up configuration. Your choice.

Since the GPSMAP 295 is CD-ROM compatible, you also enjoy virtually unlimited mapping utility. Load city-specific data into your GPSMAP 295 from a MapSource® CD accessory, transfer the unit to your car, and you'll navigate to a restaurant on the ground as easily as you follow a flight plan in the air. The GPSMAP 295—brilliant GPS innovation

*GPSMAP 295 Receiver (with all the items pictured)
*Original Box
*Flip-up Antenna
*GA-26C Remote Antenna
*Cigarette Lighter Adapter
*Yoke Mount
*Dash Mount
*Owners Manual
*Quick Reference Guide
*Unit Carry Case
*PC Cable - This was an updated and add on item – The original unit was only updateable by a dealer. Garmin updates are now available for a very low cost - $35.00 - via the internet!
*Cigarette Lighter-AC Adaptor- I have an adaptor, that plugs into a wall electrical outlet, that the cigarette lighter plugs into, so you can update the unit next to a computer, etc.

Any questions feel free to e-mail me at drsteve@pol.net. Thanks.
DrSteve
USER

Return to Avionics